Sometimes your kids might not want to spend time with you. This might be because they feel torn between their parents and don’t want to choose. They might also be feeling upset if you and your ex have been fighting.
In this situation, it’s best to take things slowly:
- Respect your children’s wishes. Tell them you would love to see them when they’re ready.
- Try to stay in contact by other means, like phone calls, letters or emails.
- Experiment with shorter visits. Even if your kids don’t want to sleep over, they might be happy to spend the day with you doing something fun.
- Remember that older kids might want to stay at a friend’s house instead of yours. In this case, you could consider inviting their friends over as well.
- If you have a new partner, your children might not feel comfortable around that person yet. These things take time.
Source: Raising Children Network