There are many good things about living in a stepfamily.
- Some young people have said they like the idea of being a ‘family’ again.
- Others say that they feel more safe and secure.
- Some young people have said they have two sets of parents to look up to, to get support from, to help with homework, to talk with about other problems, and to help with major decisions eg. education and career.
- You have another adult to do things with.
- You may have stepbrothers and sisters to do things with and have fun.
- Some may enjoy the differences between two homes.
- Some say it’s nice to see their parent so happy being with a new partner.
- Some young people recognise that their standard of living is better because there is more money coming into the household.
- Having more relatives can be positive.
- There may be a new baby brother or sister to love.
- Some have said that one benefit is getting more presents!
- Others enjoy having a bigger family.
living in a stepfamily, Stepfamily, stepfamily life, stepparenting